Multi-language support

this is very great news!! Thank you very much Tyler! I am glad to hear you are working on it! I wish you the best possible outcome of cause :wink: Thanks. Looking forward to join you while beta testing the newly build feature.

my client asked me for the second language again today. I re-read your message (above) and then told my client we will be able to add the second language at the end of september.
While thinking about multi-language, something came to mind:

I will probably even HAVE TO add the Meta-Tags via MOD if we run two languages on the same HTML-Page, am I right?

We will want the metatag-Info to be different, depending on the language.

I guess I will entertain merely one HTML Document for each page. Is that correct? Or should I create new html-documents for the second language? I would strongly prefer to run all languages on one Document and manage the metatag-Info via AnyMod too.

Did you find a nice approach for Searchengines, like Google, to ensure the URL differs in the window.adressbar depending on the language ?

There is also a language attribute in the HTML-Tag < html lang=“en”>. Can we toggle that attribute value via the v2 Script? And must we do so on pageload to satisfy the saerchbots, or is it fine to do that a bit later?
PS: The only searchengine I am interested in is Google :wink:

The content inside of the title-tag will also need to change depending on the language .

Our goal is to make the language “settable” on the page in a few different ways:

1. By the url, for example having /es/, ?lang=es, or #es in the url
  2. Inside the AnyMod script options, for example { lang: 'es' }
  3. By calling it directly in the JavaScript, for example AnyMod.setLanguage('es')

These may not be exactly what we end up with, but that’s what we have in mind right now. The goal is to only need 1 page and 1 mod for each mod on the page.

In theory it should work the same for meta tags and the language tag as it does everywhere else, but we have not tested that yet (since we haven’t built it yet!).

Okay, so that was why I decided to bring up this topic in the first place. My idea was to test that Meta-tag early on, so we do not run into issues at a time when it is already too late. I will discuss this issue further on our already existing ticket about the meta-Tag here in the community .

Here comes some feedback regarding the SEO-Mods for multi-language pages:

I successfully dropped individual SEO-Mods into our project-webpage. I integrated one separate (different) seo-mod (one on each page) at the top of the body-tag.

The mods seem to work very well and enable me to manage individual seo-Information for each page of the webpage separately. I guess multi-Language will be fine too.

Any feedback regarding the development of the new multi-language-feature is highly welcome. And as mentioned, I will be glad to contribute wherever I can.

For my client I announced the second language to be ready for use at the end of september.
I would be happy for some time to test the result in advance.

we come closer to the end of September, any feedback is welcome!

Hi Stefan, we’re still tracking well for it. We’ve dedicated some resources to more pressing things like the navbar which I know was time sensitive for you, but we are still making progress :+1:

1 Like

Great - Thank you very much for your work on it, and also thank you very much for the feedback inbetween !

Hi Tyler,

on my end, I can say

my client has delayed the process of “going Live” for some three weeks by now.

Nevertheless, I would be grateful for an update with regard to the multi language feature.

may your entire team have a nice start into the week ; )

Stefan

Hi Stefan, we are getting close to rolling it out on the backend (which needs to be error free) and then we can have you start testing it through the user interface. I don’t have an exact date for you, but it is a top priority and should be out soon.

1 Like

Hi Tyler, great news! I should have enough time to test the result together with you. My Client is causing some delay at the moment anyway.

1 Like

Hi Tyler,

you were getting close to rolling the multi-language-feature out (on the backend) some 18 days ago. Did your tests on the backend go well? Do you already know when you can have me start testing?

Hi Stefan, yes testing on the backend is mostly finished, and we’re working on the user interface. It is working as intended so far, and you should be able to start beta testing it shortly. Thanks for checking in!

1 Like

Hi Stefan @falling-hat-59l2
We have the multi-language editing UI up for beta testing and have enabled it for your account. You can find it in the mod editor as “Content version”:

07%20PM

I won’t give too much more information; we’ll let you explore if you’d like.

A couple of things to note:

1. Currently you can create and save different versions, but those will not show in the mod preview or on your live webpage. Only the default version will show. So this is purely to manage the data right now; new versions you create won’t affect the mod.
  2. We think we’ve gotten all the bugs in the user interface, but please let us know if something doesn’t work for you.

We’ll have something out soon that will allow you to switch between versions in the mod itself, both in the dashboard preview and on your live pages!

Okay nice!

The first Mod I accidentially picked for a test of the new multi-language-feature happend to have been a mod without any content in the content-section . I realized the whole Multi-Language-Solution relies on all text always beeing written inside of the content section (text must be magaged via fields) and not just some text written inside of the HTML section. The Cookie-Notice Mod-Template I happened to choose writes text directly into the html , instead of the Content-area. Thus I will have to create new fields in such cases , so that I will be able to manage several Languages thereafter. I am just mentioning this for you, to let you know that from now on it might be even more important to make sure all text inside all templated Mods is managed inside of Fieds, and not just in the html-section. But this is, of cause, a very minor issue, and not relevant. I can easily create those fields and then manage 100% of the text once I improoved the mod(s). https://anymod.com/edit/kdrdkb/content

Okay the second Mod I tried was a normal Text & Images Mod . I did insert some dummy Text after I created a “German Version” and I also uploaded a different “german”-Image :wink: Haha … :wink: Okay,… But as I cannot yet see the result anywhere., I feel it does not yet make much sense to hand the current status over to my Client at this point in time. My client might be able to edit the Real Text (with their Content-Editor Rights which are not admin-Accounts) ) and they will be eable to edit the Images inside of the mods in the German language now. The process is “Okay” for me to handle. It might become a bit cumbersone to always first choose the germen version before I will be able to edit the german version. This tiny issue might be automatically solved once the admin-User will be able to switch to the german language directly on the webpage, as the admin-user might then be able to open the mod-edtors content-section directly with the german version Open on Pageload for the Mod-Content-page(s). This is also merely a small issue I stumble upon at this very early stage, but I thought why not note my thoughts down for you.

Also, as my Client will want to edit the german version directly by clicking at Mod-Sections on the Webpage. We will therefore have to make sure the Language-Toggle-Dropdown-element, In other words the ‘Language Chooser’, will always also show the NON-published Language versions, (PROVIDED the user is logged in as the ADMIN or as any other content editor). Otherwise the content editor could not easily access the Language to be edited, as the “Languange Chooser Element” would not offer that language . The content editor will need to not only see the “german” version for all text and images if logged into anymod, he might also want to be able to click on Mod-sections and then have the respective editor opened with the content-section beeing pre-choosen in german language. For him to plug away with the languange he/she has choosen on the webpage. It might be best to let the language persist, no matter where the content-editor (or admin) choose a language, that choice might persist everywhere (Live Page, Mods-Editor, Mods-List etc) - I realize my thoughts might very likely be off topic, or plain irrelevant :wink: You will propbably have a slightly different setup-approach in mind anyway. I did not think too long about the above lines to be honest :wink: I am happy to see the multi-language Feature evolve and curious to get to know more about the approaches your team has in mind, while the features and the interface will go live :wink:

Hi Stefan, the multi-language feature is live now. :partying_face:

You can check it out and learn more about it here:
https://guide.anymod.com/guide/content-versions.html

We’d love any feedback you have on it!

1 Like

Whoo! I am looking forward very much to testing it and establishing it on skysails-power.de
Due to some pressure I currently feel regarding my deadline for the skysails-group.de page, I might delay the implementation for some 4 workdays . I will finally start to work with the new multi-language Feature at the end of the next week . I will provide feedback immediately after I start working with it next week -

Thank you!

• ContentEditor_XYZ = Show Spanish Version //
    If a Content-editor surfs the Live-Webpage and is logged in, how may he see the unfinished new Language he is currently working on? Is it feasible to write some JS-Code to achieve the following: IF ( content_editor === Name_XYZ) {show Spanish Language)

• setLanguage-Cookie & Implement Language-Dropdown-Chooser-Element:
    Will Anymod offer a template MOD to help the pagevisitor choose between the available Languages? Is there a solution to remember the Language-Choice the user has made, for as long as a setLanguage-Cookie persists?

Hmmm… Forget about my above two questions. They where asked too early. I had to think more and instead I asked too early.

Okay, so the Language can be set via a querystring on the window location href. Okay. So in order to make sure any requested follow-up-pages also load with the choosen language, I will have to find a way to dynamically append that queryString to all LINK-URLs on that page, am I right? As soon as one of those Links will be clicked, the follow-up page will be displayed in “spanish” also. Hmm.

Will anymod offer a language-Choose-Element as a template-MOD? Will that template-mod additionally entertain a cookie so that the browser can aditionally remember the users languange-choice , if the user returns to the domain some days later? And also, and maybe most importantly, will that Template-Mod have some code to detect the default Language preference of the Browser, and auto-set the language accordingly (provided no setLangunageCookie-Value overwrites it) ?

1 Like

The language selection mod is a great idea. Everything you’ve described should be doable, so we’ve added it to our list for module monday ideas. Should be out soon!